Carvajal Carvajal y otrosProcess
The facts of the case concern the murder of journalist Nelson Carvajal Carvajal on April 6, 1998 because of his work; it also addresses the lack of state due diligence to protect Carvajal and his family, as well as to investigate the facts.
The IA Court determined that the facts were part of the context of journalists murdered in Colombia during the 1990s. In its sentence, the Court applied standards regarding the State’s obligation to carry out investigations and initiate legal proceedings within a reasonable time period. It also analyzed the relationships between the respect and guarantee of the right to life and the freedom of expression of journalists and social communicators.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jun 21, 2002
- Submission to the IACourt
- Oct 22, 2015
- Freedom of expression
- Threats and harassment
- Court documents
- Carvajal Carvajal y familia. Resolución del Presidente de la CorteIDH de 6 de julio de 2017
- Carvajal Carvajal y otros. Hearing. August 22, 2017
- Carvajal Carvajal y otros. Hearing. August 23, 2017
- Carvajal Carvajal y otros. Judgment. March 13, 2018
- Carvajal Carvajal y otros. Judgment. November 21, 2018
- Carvajal Carvajal y otros. Order of the IACourt. October 7, 2019