The facts of the case concern the death of Bernabé Baldeón García, a 68 year old peasant, who was detained and tortured by military staff in the department of Ayacucho during the initial stages of the 1990s.
The IA Court considered that during the 80s and towards the end of 2000, Peru experienced a conflict between armed groups and military and police agents. This conflict was exacerbated by the systematic practice of human rights violations, among them extrajudicial executions and forced disappearances of people suspected of belonging to opposition political groups, which were carried out by State agents following orders of police and military leaders.
The IA Court identified the deficiencies in the judicial investigation into the death and torture of the victim and the impunity in which the events remained.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 24, 1997
- Submission to the IACourt
- Feb 11, 2005
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 4.1 1.1, 5.2 1.1, 5.1 1.1, 8.1, 25 1, 6, 8
- Ejecución extrajudicial
- Privación de libertad
- Tortura y tratos crueles, inhumanos o degradantes
- Court documents
- , , ,
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Baldeón García