The fact of the case relate to the illegal and arbitrary detention of Juan Carlos Bayarri, which was followed by acts of torture and a lengthy pre-trial detention. These violations occurred in the context of criminal proceedings carried out against him for the alleged repeated commissioning of extortive kidnappings. The victim was deprived of liberty for 13 years on the basis of a confession extracted under torture. 16 years later, the events remained in total impunity before national justice systems.
The IA Court developed standards regarding the limits on the practice of pre-trial detention.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Apr 5, 1994
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jul 19, 2007
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR IACPPT 1.1, 7.1, 7.2, 7.5 1.1, 5.1, 5.2 1.1, 8.1, 8.2, 8.2g) 1.1, 8.1, 25.1 - 1, 6, 8
- Deprivation of liberty
- Pretrial detention
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)