Rodríguez Revolorio y otrosCase
The facts of the case relate to the violation of guarantees in the criminal proceeding carried out against Miguel Ángel Rodríguez Revolorio, Aníbal Archila Pérez and Miguel Ángel López Calo, which led to a conviction for several crimes, among them murder, and a sentence to death.
In its sentence, the IA Court considered that Guatemala was not responsible for the imposition of the death penalty for Mr. Rodríguez Revolorio and Mr. López Calo, given that their sentence was commuted to deprivation of liberty. As for Mr. Archila Pérez-even if the death penalty was not executed-, the application of criteria such as dangerousness, both in the criminalization of the facts and in establishing the penalty, is incompatible with the principle of legality.
Additionally, the IA Court examined the prison conditions during the victims’ detention and under the circumstances of “death row”.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jul 17, 1997
- Aug 11, 1997
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jan 26, 2018
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR IACPPT 9, 1, 1, 2 8.1, 1.1, 2 8.1, 8.2, 8.2.c, 1.1 8.2.h, 25.1, 1.1, 2 5.1, 5.2, 1.1 1, 6, 8 4.1, 4.2, 1.1, 2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.2, 9, 1.1, 2 5.1, 5.2, 1.1 8.2.h, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 4.1, 1.1 8.1, 8.2, 1.1
- Death penalty
- Detention conditions
- Right to appeal the judgment
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Case)
- Rodríguez Revolorio y otros