The facts of the case refer to the illegal and arbitrary detention, torture and extrajudicial execution of Consuelo Benavides Cevallos in December 1985. These acts, committed by the Ecuadorian Naval Infantry, occurred in the context of an investigation into suspected subversive actions linking him to the guerrilla group “Alfaro Vive Carajo”. The resulting criminal investigations into these events were characterized by unreasonable delays, inefficiency, and the denial of justice.
The State carried out an act of acknowledgement of international responsibility before the IA Court for the described events.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Aug 22, 1988
- Submission to the IACourt
- Mar 21, 1996
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 25
- Ejecución extrajudicial
- Privación de libertad
- Tortura y tratos crueles, inhumanos o degradantes
- Court documents
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Benavides Cevallos