Girón y Castillo MendozaCase
The facts of the case concern violations of due process faced by the victims and their subsequent conviction in October 1993 for the crime of aggravated rape, as well as their execution by firing squad in September 1996 according to the country's legislation on the death penalty.
In its sentence, the IA Court considered that the death penalty imposed on the victims was incompatible with the protection of the right to life, given that the standard upon which the penalty was established made it impossible to value the specific characteristics of the crime or other circumstances that could mitigate the penalty.
Additionally, the IA Court examined the right to due process, in particular developing standards on the right to technical defense.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jul 11, 1996
- Aug 14, 1996
- Submission to the IACourt
- Nov 30, 2017
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR IACPPT 1.1, 2, 5.1, 5.2 1, 6 4.1, 4.2, 1.1, 2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.6, 1.1 4.1, 4.2, 1.1, 2 5.1, 5.2, 1.1 8.2.d), 8.2.e), 4.1, 1.1, 2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 8.3 8.2.g) 8.2.c) 8.2.f) 8.5
- Death penalty
- Technical defense
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Girón y Castillo Mendoza