Comunidad Garífuna Triunfo de la Cruz y sus miembrosProcess
The facts of the petition refer to the right of the Garifuna Community of Triunfo de la Cruz to have a suitable and culturally appropriate title to their traditional territory, highlighting that recognizing a part was delayed and in effect denied a single title over the totality of the territory. This situation resulted in the state's failure to effectively protect the territory against occupation and dispossession by third parties.
The Inter-American Court also applied standards on free, prior, and informed consent on adopting decisions on issues such as the planning and execution of projects and tourism megaprojects, the creation of a protected area and the sale of communal lands; it also analyzed the state's responsibility for the harassment suffered by community authorities due to their activities defending their lands.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Oct 29, 2003
- Submission to the IACourt
- Feb 21, 2013
- Right to consultation
- Threats and harassment
- Court documents
- Comunidad Garifuna Punta Piedra y Comunidad Garífuna Triunfo de la Cruz. Order of the IACourt. September 1, 2016
- Comunidad Garífuna Triunfo de la Cruz y sus miembros. Judgment. October 8, 2015
- Comunidad Garífuna Triunfo de la Cruz. Order of the IACourt. May 14, 2019
- Garífuna Community Triunfo de la Cruz and its members. Order of the President. December 18, 2013