Vereda La EsperanzaCase
The facts of the case concern the extrajudicial execution and several enforced disappearances (including of children) carried out with the participation of state agents - between June and December 1996 in La Vereda La Esperanza in the Magdalena Medio region (a key area for strategic and economic purposes) in the southeast region of the department of Antioquia.
The Inter-American Court’s ruling applied standards on forced disappearances, specifically analyzing the state's responsibility in relation to non-state actors, thereby identifying identifying a form of cooperation between military forces in the area and paramilitary groups. The ruling also addressed the state's obligation to guarantee protection of all involved in the process and the victims’ families’ right to truth.
Likewise, the consequences of raids were analyzed as violations of the right to privacy and property.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jul 1, 1999
- Submission to the IACourt
- Dec 13, 2014
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
CADH CIDFP 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 19, 21, 1.1 I.a, I.b
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
CADH CIDFP 7, 5.1, 5.2, 4.1, 3, 1.1 I.a 7, 5.1, 5.2, 4.1, 3, 1.1, 19 I.a 4, 1.1 8.1, 25, 1.1 I.b 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
CADH CIDFP 8.1 III
- Amenazas y hostigamientos
- Desaparición forzada
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Vereda La Esperanza