Vereda La EsperanzaProcess
The facts of the case concern the extrajudicial execution and several enforced disappearances (including of children) carried out with the participation of state agents - between June and December 1996 in La Vereda La Esperanza in the Magdalena Medio region (a key area for strategic and economic purposes) in the southeast region of the department of Antioquia.
The Inter-American Court’s ruling applied standards on forced disappearances, specifically analyzing the state's responsibility in relation to non-state actors, thereby identifying identifying a form of cooperation between military forces in the area and paramilitary groups. The ruling also addressed the state's obligation to guarantee protection of all involved in the process and the victims’ families’ right to truth.
Likewise, the consequences of raids were analyzed as violations of the right to privacy and property.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jul 1, 1999
- Submission to the IACourt
- Dec 13, 2014
- Forced disappearance
- Threats and harassment
- Court documents
- Vereda La Esperanza. Hearing. June 21, 2016
- Vereda La Esperanza. Hearing. June 22, 2016
- Vereda La Esperanza. Judgment. August 31, 2017
- Vereda La Esperanza. Judgment. November 21, 2018
- Vereda La Esperanza. Order of the President of the IACourt. May 10, 2016
- Vereda La Esperanza. Order of the President. December 1, 2015
- Documentos de la comisión