Roche Azaña y otroCase
The facts of the case concern the violence exercised by the Nicaraguan police against a van transporting a group of migrants trying to reach the United States of America, on December 23rd 1998 in the municipality of Chinandega. As a consequence of the attack, one person died and five were severely injured.
In its judgement, the IA Court analyzed the use of force by the security forces in the light of the principles of lawfulness, legitimate purpose, absolute necessity and proportionality established in the developments of the international law of human rights.
In addition, it established the violation of judicial guarantees, in particular, the failure to notify and guarantee the participation of the family, Ecuadorian citizens, in the legal process; the court also considered the situation of particular vulnerability of the victims as migrants.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Dec 23, 1998
- Submission to the IACourt
- Apr 24, 2019
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 1.1, 2 5.1, 1.1, 2 8.1, 25, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 1.1, 2 5.1, 1.1, 2 8.1, 25, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- Ejecución extrajudicial
- Uso de la fuerza
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Roche Azaña y otro