The facts of the case concern the extrajudicial execution of the adolescent Jean Paul Genie Lacayo, of 16 years of age, by military personnel. Following his death, an investigation began in a military court, which lasted for more than 5 years without any of those responsible being sanctioned.
The IA Court developed standards regarding the guarantee of reasonable time period and the concept of “global analysis of procedure”, in relation to certain conducts on the part of military authorities which hindered and did not collaborate in an adequate manner in the investigations.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Feb 15, 1991
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jan 6, 1994
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 8.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 2, 24, 25, 51.2
- Extrajudicial execution
- Military jurisdiction
- Court documents
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Genie Lacayo