Mota Abarullo y otrosCase
The case concerns the death of the adolescents when they were inpatients in the Center of Treatment and Diagnosis “Monseñor Juan José Bernal”, operating under the National Institute for Minors in the state of Bolívar, as a consequence of a fire that occurred on the morning of June 30th 2005 in one of the cells. Additionally, violations to the right to due diligence in the investigation of the facts were alleged.
The State of Venezuela acknowledged its international responsibility regarding the facts of the case, but it failed to refer to violations of personal integrity of the relatives of the deceased teenagers.
In its judgment, the IA Court elaborated on general considerations regarding the scope of the State’s obligations toward the life and integrity of adolescents deprived of liberty.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Oct 12, 2007
- Submission to the IACourt
- Mar 29, 2019
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 1.1, 19 8.1, 25.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 1.1, 19 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- Detention conditions
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Mota Abarullo y otros