Cantoral Huamaní y García Santa CruzCase
The facts of the case relate to the kidnapping and subsequent torture and extrajudicial execution of Saúl Isaac Cantoral Huamaní and Consuelo Trinidad García Santa Cruz, both trade union leaders associated with mining.
The IA Court considered that during the 80s and towards the end of 2000, Peru experienced a conflict between armed groups and military and police agents. This conflict was exacerbated by the systematic practice of human rights violations, among them extrajudicial executions and forced disappearances of people suspected of belonging to opposition political groups, which were carried out by State agents following orders of police and military leaders.
The IA Court evidenced the repression focusing on trade union leaders, highlighting the State’s obligation to investigate these types of crimes effectively and with due diligence, given the intimidating effect of impunity that hinders the free exercise of trade union rights.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 9, 1989
- Submission to the IACourt
- Feb 21, 2006
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 4 1.1, 5.1 1.1, 7 1.1, 16 1.1, 5 1.1, 4, 5, 7, 8.5, 25
- Defensores/as de derechos humanos
- Ejecución extrajudicial
- Tortura y tratos crueles, inhumanos o degradantes
- Court documents
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Case)
- Cantoral Huamaní y García Santa Cruz