The facts of the case concern the illegal and arbitrary detention, in June 1992, of Rafael Suárez Rosero on the part of Ecuadorian National Police agents. This occurred in the context of the police operation “Ciclón”, whose objective was to break up one of the biggest international drug trafficking organizations. The victim was detained without a warrant having been emitted by a competent authority and without having committed delicto flagrante. Following several days kept in isolation, he was remanded in custody by a judge.
The IA Court established standards on preventative detention as a precautionary and not punitive measure, further defining isolation as a measure of exceptional nature. The Court also ratified the extent to which habeas corpus should be understood.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Feb 24, 1994
- Submission to the IACourt
- Dec 22, 1995
- Deprivation of liberty
- Pretrial detention
- Court documents
- Suarez Rosero. Judgment. January 20, 1999
- Suarez Rosero. Judgment. May 29, 1999
- Suarez Rosero. Judgment. November 12, 1997
- Suarez Rosero. Order of the IACourt. April 17, 2015
- Suarez Rosero. Order of the IACourt. July 10, 2007
- Suarez Rosero. Order of the IACourt. November 27, 2003
- Suárez Rosero. Order of the President. March 20, 2009