The events of the case relate to the prison sentence of the retired military officer Francisco Usón Ramírez for the crime of “slander against the National Armed Forces” for having expressed critical opinions regarding the actions of the Armed Forces in a television program.
The IA Court developed standards regarding criminal law as a restriction to the freedom of expression and applied criteria regarding the scope of the competence of military criminal jurisdiction and the State’s obligation to adapt its domestic law.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 23, 2005
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jul 25, 2008
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 2, 9, 13.1, 13.2 1.1, 2, 8, 25 1.1, 7 2, 8.1, 9, 13.1, 13.2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
- Freedom of expression
- Military jurisdiction
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Usón Ramírez