The events of the case relate to the removal from office of Mercedes Chocrón Chocrón in 2000, who had a provisional appointment as Criminal Judge of First Instance of the Caracas Metropolitan Area Judicial Circuit.
The IA Court applied standards regarding effective judicial protection and developed criteria regarding judicial independence in relation to due guarantees in the process of removal from office. In addition, the Court referred to the obligation to provide grounds and its relation to the right to defense.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 15, 2005
- Submission to the IACourt
- Nov 25, 2009
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 8.1 1.1, 25.1 2, 8.1, 25.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 1.1, 2, 23.1.c
- Public official dismission
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión