Olivares Muñoz y otros / Cárcel de Villa HermosaCase
The facts denounced concern the torture and extrajudicial execution of a group of inmates in the Vista Hermosa prison by the National Guard in the context of an operation carried out on November 2003. Violations to the right to due diligence in the investigation of the facts were also alleged.
In its judgement, the IA Court developed standards related to the use of force by State agents, in the light of the principles of lawfulness, legitimate purpose, absolute necessity and proportionality. Likewise, it analyzed the compatibility with international law of the use of military and police forces to guarantee the security, custody and surveillance of persons deprived of liberty.
In addition, it assessed the State’s compliance with its duty to investigate in relation to the principles of reasonable time frame and due diligence.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Oct 16, 2007
- Submission to the IACourt
- Apr 1, 2019
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, 1.1, 2 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR cpst 4.1, 1.1, 2 5.1, 5.2, 1.1, 2 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 1, 6, 8
- Condiciones de detención
- Ejecución extrajudicial
- Tortura y tratos crueles, inhumanos o degradantes
- Uso de la fuerza
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Olivares Muñoz y otros