Valle Jaramillo y otrosCase
The facts of the case concern the murder of the human rights defender Jesús María Valle Jaramillo, in retaliation for the claims he made between 1995 and 1998 regarding the collusion between the National Army and the paramilitary.
The IA Court reiterated that, by having favored the creation of self-defense groups, the Colombian State objectively created a situation of risk for its inhabitants. Furthermore, it emphasized the particular affect that human rights defenders suffer as a result of their work reporting rights violations committed by paramilitaries and members of the security forces.
Additionally, upon evaluating the reasonableness of the time period with regards to the obligation to investigate, the IA Court included the criteria of the particular affect generated on the situation of surviving victims as a result of the duration of the legal process.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Aug 2, 2001
- Submission to the IACourt
- Feb 13, 2007
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 7.1, 5.1, 4.1, 1.1 7.1, 5.1, 1.1 22.1, 1.1 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 11.1, 11.2 17 5, 13, 16
- Defensores/as de derechos humanos
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Valle Jaramillo y otros