García Ibarra y otrosCase
The facts of the petition refer to arbitrary deprivation of the life of José Luis García Ibarra , a 16-year-old student who worked as a store clerk, by an official of the National Police of the city of Esmeraldas.
The Inter-American Court analyzed the international responsibility of the state for the use of lethal force, particularly in light of the special duties towards children. It also assessed the due diligence applied in investigations, in spite of an existing conviction.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Nov 8, 1994
- Submission to the IACourt
- Nov 23, 2013
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4, 19, 1.1 5, 8, 25, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 1.1, 19 8.1, 25, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
- Extrajudicial execution
- Use of force
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión