Escaleras Mejía y otrosCase
The facts of the case concern the murder of the environmental defender Carlos Escaleras Mejía on October 10, 1997 in the city of Tegucigalpa due to his work, as well as the impunity around the incident.
The judicial investigations opened in response to the homicide had deficiencies and irregularities that were a decisive factor in the partial impunity of the facts.
In its sentence, the IA Court approved an agreement of friendly settlement reached by the parties, in which the State acknowledges its responsibility in the facts and commits to provide reparations.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jan 14, 2002
- Submission to the IACourt
- Sep 22, 2017
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 4.1, 1.1 16.1, 1.1 23. 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 16.1, 23.1, 1.1 5.1, 8.1, 25.1, 1.1
- Freedom of association
- Human rights defenders
- Political rights
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Escaleras Mejías y otros