López Lone y otrosCase
The facts of the petition concern three judges and a magistrate of the judiciary of Honduras - members of the Association of Judges for Democracy - who were subjected to disciplinary proceedings for expressions pro-democracy views against the coup of 2009.
The Inter-American Court understood that, in light of international law, victims had a duty to defend democracy, thereby deepening the relationship amongst political rights, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, and freedom of association as elements that as a whole make the democratic game possible.
Moreover, it analyzed the guarantees of due process and judicial protection in regards to disciplinary proceedings against judges.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jul 6, 2010
- Submission to the IACourt
- Mar 17, 2014
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 8, 9, 13, 16, 23, 25, 1.1, 2 15, 1.1, 2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 16, 1.1 13.1, 15, 23, 1.1 8.1, 1.1, 2 8.1, 23, 1.1 25.1, 1.1 9, 1.1, 2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 16, 23.1.c, 1.1 13.1 7 5 11
- Destitución de funcionario público
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- López Lone y otros