Chinchilla Sandoval y otrosCase
The facts of the petition concern the death of María Inés Chinchilla who was in custody of the state and deprived of liberty, serving a murder sentence in the prison “Centro de Orientación Femenino”, where she was not given adequate medical attention for her health condition.
The health of Mrs. Chinchilla Sandoval progressively deteriorated during her detention, leading to the amputation of a leg, and ultimately to her death. In its sentence, the IA Court specifically analyzed the scope of the State’s obligation to provide assistance and adequate medical treatment to individuals deprived of their freedom, and the judicial control of said assistance. It also assessed the scope of the duties of special protection for people with disabilities.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Feb 25, 2005
- Submission to the IACourt
- Aug 19, 2014
- Detention conditions
- Court documents
- Chinchilla Sandoval y otros
- Chinchilla Sandoval y otros. Order of the IACourt. October 7, 2019
- Chinchilla Sandoval y otros. Order of the President. January 28, 2015
- Chinchilla Sandoval y otros. Order of the President. May 12, 2015
- Chinchilla Sandoval. Judgment. February 29, 2016
- Chinchilla Sandoval. Order of the IACourt. February 5, 2018