Díaz Loreto y otrosCase
The facts of the case concern the death of three people - the brothers Diaz Loreto and their father - in January 2003, due to actions of police officers of the state of Aragua, as well as the impunity surrounding the case.
In its sentence, the IA Court examined the behavior of police officers in view of the standards that legitimize the use of force, as well as the principles of necessity and strict proportionality.
It also established responsibility for lack of due diligence and reasonable time in the investigation of the facts.
Additionally, it examined violations to judicial safeguards due to lack of protection measures for those participating in the proceedings, who had suffered harassment and threats.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Mar 14, 2007
- Submission to the IACourt
- Dec 6, 2017
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 8.1, 25.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR IACPPT 4, 1.1 - 7, 5.1, 1 - 8.1, 25.1 1, 6, 8 5.1, 1.1 -
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
- Threats and harassment
- Torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment
- Use of force
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Díaz Loreto y otros