The facts of the case provide an account of the verbal and physical violence, the unsubstantiated accusation of being a guerrilla fighter, the illegal raid of residence and the subsequent extrajudicial execution of indigenous leader Germán Escué Zapata, member of the indigenous reserve of Jambaló, Paez del Norte del Cauca community. These acts were perpetrated by members of the National Army on February 1, 1988. The Colombian State partially recognized its responsibility for the events, and admitted that members of the public forces illegally detained Escué, who was beaten and subsequently extrajudicially executed. The State also acknowledged that there had not been an effective investigation.
The IA Court developed standards regarding illegal search and entry of places of residence, considering this an arbitrary and abusive interference of the home and a violation of family and private life for those people who are affected.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Feb 26, 1998
- Submission to the IACourt
- May 16, 2006
- Extrajudicial execution
- Indigenous peoples
- Court documents
- Escué Zapata. Judgment. July 4, 2007
- Escué Zapata. Judgment. May 5, 2008
- Escue Zapata. Order of the IACourt .May 18, 2010
- Escue Zapata. Order of the IACourt. February 21, 2011
- Escué Zapata. Order of the IACourt. November 22, 2016
- Escue Zapata. Order of the President. February 8, 2012
- Reparación sobre atención médica en 9 casos colombianos. Order of the President. February 8, 2012