Coc Max y otros / Masacre de XamánCase
The facts of the case concern the impunity surrounding the extrajudicial execution of eleven people (including 3 children) and the injuries caused to 29 other people who lived on the Xamán farm, carried out by members of the Armed Forces in October 1995.
The IA Court situated the facts of the case in the context of the internal armed conflict in Guatemala between 1962 and 1996, during which the so-called “national security doctrine” that considered the Maya people an “internal enemy” was applied.
In its sentence, the IA Court established State responsibility for the lack of diligence in the detention of the fugitives, in spite of the issuance of arrest warrants. It also analyzed the special duties of the State with regards to children victims of the massacre.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Nov 16, 1995
- Submission to the IACourt
- Sep 21, 2016
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 1.1, 19 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 24, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 1.1 5.1, 1.1, 19 4.1, 19, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 24 21
- Extrajudicial execution
- Court documents
- Coc Max y otros. Audiencia del 9 de febrero de 2018
- Coc Max y otros. Order of the President. December 13, 2017
- Coc Max y otros/Masacre de Xamán. Judgment. August 22, 2018
- Miembros de la aldea Chichupac y Comunidades de Rabinal.Molina Theissen y otros 12 casos. Order of the IACourt. October 14, 2019
- Miembros de la Chichupac y comunidades de Rabinal Molina, Theissen y otros 12 casos. Order of the IACourt. March 12, 2019
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos