The facts of the case concern the detention of Colombian national Rigoberto Acosta Calderón on suspicion of drug trafficking by Military Customs Police in November 1998.
The IA Court established standards regarding pretrial detention in relation to the right to the presumption of innocence, as well as determining other violations of judicial guarantees linked to the reasonable time period of the criminal process, the right of the accused to be brought immediately before a competent judge and to informed in a detailed manner with regards to the accusations with which they are charged. Finally, the IA Court made reference to the right to consular assistance of foreign persons who are detained.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Nov 8, 1994
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jun 25, 2003
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 7.1, 7.3, 7.5 1.1, 7.6, 25 1.1, 8.1, 8.2, 8.2.b, 8.2.d, 8.2.e 2, 7.5
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 7.4 5
- Consular assistance
- Pretrial detention
- Court documents
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Acosta Calderón