The facts of the case concern the massacre of more than 40 inhabitants of the town of Moiwana, in November 1986, resulting in significant losses to their property and provoking forced displacement of the survivors.
Owing to temporal jurisdiction, the IA Court focused its analysis on the violations of human rights which occurred as a result of the massacre. In particular, it considered the forced displacement of members of the community as a result of fear of returning to their ancestral territories, and the impact on the use and enjoyment of communal property. Additionally, it analyzed the judicial response in light of the standard of due diligence.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jun 27, 1997
- Submission to the IACourt
- Dec 20, 2002
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 5.1 1.1, 22 1.1, 21 1.1, 8.1, 25
- Desplazamiento forzado
- Pueblos indígenas
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Comunidad Moiwana