The events of the case relate to the violation of Oscar Enrique Barreto Leiva’s judicial guarantees, who whilst serving as Director General of the Administration and Services Department of the Ministry Secretariat of the Presidency, was sentenced in 1989 for being an accomplice to the crime of aggravated generic misappropriation.
The IA Court established standards regarding the right to defense, to be tried by a competent court and the right to appeal a judgment. It additionally referred to criteria regarding pre-trial detention.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Aug 9, 1996
- Submission to the IACourt
- Oct 31, 2008
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 8.2.b 1.1, 2, 8.2.c 1.1, 8.2.d 1.1, 2, 7.1, 7.3 1.1, 7.1, 7.5, 8.2
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
ACHR 8.2.f 8.1 1.1, 2, 8.2.h 25.1
- Deprivation of liberty
- Pretrial detention
- Right to appeal the judgment
- Court documents
- Geolocalización de los hechos