The events of the present case relate to the extrajudicial execution of 35 people, the forced disappearance of 2 people, and the injuries caused to a further 3, which occurred as a result of acts (characterized by the disproportionate use of armed force in working-class neighborhoods) perpetrated by members of the state security forces. Judicial investigations, many of these opened in military jurisdiction, did not establish those responsible for the acts.
The events of the case occurred in early 1989 in a context of public disturbances that led the Executive to issue Decree No. 49 on February 28, 1989 suspending several guarantees for 23 days.
The Venezuelan State recognized its international responsibility for the events of the case, which was accepted by the IA Court.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Mar 28, 1995
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jun 7, 1999
- Extrajudicial execution
- Forced disappearance
- Military jurisdiction
- State of emergency
- Use of force
- Court documents
- El Caracazo. Judgment. August 29, 2002
- El Caracazo. Judgment. November 11, 1999
- El Caracazo. Order of the IACourt. July 6, 2009
- El Caracazo. Order of the IACourt. May 30, 2018
- El Caracazo. Order of the IACourt. November 17, 2004
- El Caracazo. Order of the IACourt. September 23, 2009
- El Caracazo. Order of the President. May 20, 2009