Empleados de la Fábrica de Fuegos en Santo Antonio de Jesús y sus familiaresCase
The facts of the case concern the explosion of a fireworks factory in San Antonio de Jesús, Bahía (Brazil), in December 1998, where 64 people died and 6 were severely injured. The factory operated without permission, without the minimum standards of safety for its workers and using child labor.
In its judgement, the IA Court analyzed the case in relation to the State’s obligation to regulate and monitor hazardous activities carried out by private entities. It also elaborated on the scope of the right to equitable and satisfactory working conditions as a constituent of the right to work, as well as the prohibition of child labor.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Dec 3, 2001
- IACommission / Merits report: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 5.1, 19, 1.1 26, 1.1, 2, 19 24, 1.1 8.1, 25.1, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 4.1, 19, 1.1 5.1, 19, 1.1 19, 24, 26, 1.1 8, 25, 1.1 5.1, 1.1
- Labour rights
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Empleados de la Fábrica de Fuegos en Santo Antonio de Jesus y familiares