Masacres del Río NegroProcess
The facts of the case refer to the destruction of the Mayan community of Rio Negro as a consequence of a series of massacres perpetrated by the Guatemalan military and members of the Civilian Defense Patrol (PAC), between 1980 and 1982.
The IA Court placed the events of the case within the context of internal armed conflict, which occurred between 1962 and 1996 and during which the “National Security Doctrine” was applied. Within this framework, the Mayan indigenous people were considered “internal enemies” given their potential to become the guerrilla’s social base. Therefore they were the ethnic group most affected by human rights’ violations during this period, suffering forced displacement and the destruction of their communities. Women and children were victims, selected in particular for the symbolic effect the violation of their rights represented.
The IA Court elaborated standards regarding forced disappearance of peoples with emphasis on the infringement of childhood, and developed benchmarks concerning the prohibition of slavery and servitude, as well as regarding the infringement of cultural and spiritual life suffered by the community as a consequence of the violation of rights endured.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Jul 19, 2005
- Submission to the IACourt
- Nov 30, 2010
- Extrajudicial execution
- Indigenous peoples
- Court documents
- Masacres de Río Negro y Gudiel Alvarez y otros. Order of the IACourt. August 21, 2014
- Masacres de Rio Negro. Order of the IACourt. March 14, 2018
- Masacres de Río Negro. Order of the IACourt. May 25, 2017
- Masacres0 de Rio Negro. Judgment. September 4, 2012
- Miembros de la aldea Chichupac y Comunidades de Rabinal.Molina Theissen y otros 12 casos. Order of the IACourt. October 14, 2019
- Miembros de la Chichupac y comunidades de Rabinal Molina, Theissen y otros 12 casos. Order of the IACourt. March 12, 2019
- Rio Negro Massacres. Order of the President. May 31, 2012
- Documentos de la comisión