Juan Humberto SánchezCase
The facts of the case refer to the extrajudicial execution of Juan Humberto Sánchez, after being detained by a group of armed militants without a warrant due to his alleged links to the guerrilla group “Frente Farabundo Martí para la Liberación Nacional (FMLN)” [Farabundo Martí Front for National Liberation].
The IA Court located the events in the context of the 1980s and early 1990s pattern of forced disappearances and executions committed by military forces under the doctrine of national security, allowing for the capture of “dangerous” people. In this environment, the military controlled the police, and judges felt intimidated to investigate events.
The IA Court established standards regarding illegal and arbitrary detention, as well as on torture which became evident through the conditions in which the body of the victim was found.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Oct 19, 1992
- Submission to the IACourt
- Sep 8, 2001
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 7, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6, 25 4.1, 1, 1 8, 25 5 1.1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 25 1.1, 5, 7, 8, 25 1.1, 5, 8, 25
- Deprivation of liberty
- Extrajudicial execution
- Torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment
- Court documents
- Juan H. Sánchez. Judgment. June 7, 2003
- Juan H. Sánchez. Judgment. November 26, 2003
- Juan H. Sánchez. Order of the IACourt. August 22, 2013
- Juan H. Sánchez. Order of the IACourt. November 17, 2004
- Juan H. Sánchez. Order of the IACourt. September 12, 2005
- Juan H. Sanchez. Order of the President. May 22, 2009
- Juan Humberto Sanchez. Supervisión de cumplimiento. Resolución de la CorteIDH de 21 de junio de 2021
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)
- Juan Humberto Sánchez