The facts of the case relate to the imposition of a fine on José María Cantos, for the payment of court fees, fines for non-payment thereof, and legal fees of lawyers and experts, following a lawsuit held before the Supreme Court of Justice of the Nation, against the Federal Government and the Province of Santiago del Estero.
The Court established that the amounts imposed on Mr Cantos for court fees and fines constituted an obstruction to the right to access justice, as individuals must be able to use the legal recourse of the Court systems without the fear of being forced to pay disproportionate sums of money for having done so.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 29, 1996
- Submission to the IACourt
- Mar 10, 1999
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 8.1, 25
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
- Court documents
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Place of the events)