Comunidad Garífuna Punta Piedra y sus miembrosProcess
The facts of the petition refer to the right of the Garifuna Community of Punta Piedra to peaceful possession of their traditional territory free of third party interference. Since 1993 and for over 20 years, the community has not been able to effectively and peacefully control the territory that historically belongs to them due to the gradual increased occupation by third parties who are not part of the community.
The Inter-American Court develops standards to define the relevance and scope of the effective guarantee over the use and enjoyment of collective property in relation to the interference of third parties, as well as the characteristics of an adequate and effective process to guarantee the right to consultation.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Oct 29, 2003
- Submission to the IACourt
- Oct 1, 2013
- Court documents
- Comunidad Garífuna de Punta Piedra y sus miembros. Judgment. October 8, 2015
- Comunidad Garífuna de Punta Piedra y sus miembros. Order of the IACourt. May 14, 2019
- Comunidad Garífuna de Punta Piedra y sus miembros. Order of the President. July 31, 2014
- Garifuna Community Punta Piedra and its members. Order of the President. May 30, 2014