Eloisa Barrios y otrosProcess
The events of the case relate to the arrest, extrajudicial execution, torture and mistreatment to the detriment of several members of the Barrios family, perpetrated by the Araguan State Police, as well as the lack of investigation and punishment of those responsible. Between 1998 and 2011, a total of 7 family members were murdered.
The IA Court reiterated standards regarding impunity linked to the abusive acts perpetrated by the appliance of State power, and regarding the State’s obligation to investigate efficiently and effectively in order to identify the perpetrators of these violations. Likewise, it referred to the State’s obligation to prevent and guarantee in relation to the protection of the right to life.
Furthermore, the IA Court established criteria regarding the inviolability of private residence and violation of private property regarding the entering of police agents into these establishments, and regarding the restrictions on freedom of movement as a consequence of the harassment which the family members suffered.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- Mar 16, 2004
- Dec 30, 2005
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jul 26, 2010
- Extrajudicial execution
- Threats and harassment
- Torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment
- Court documents
- Familia Barrios, Uzcátegui y otros, Hermanos Landaeta Mejías y otros. Order of the IACourt. November 21, 2018
- Familia Barrios. Judgment. November 24, 2011
- Familia Barrios. Order of the IACourt. February 23, 2016
- Familia Barrios. Order of the IACourt. November 22, 2016
- Familia Barrios. Order of the IACourt. September 2, 2015
- Familia Barrios. Order of the President. April 15, 2011
- Familia Barrios. Order of the President. January 9, 2015
- Familia Barrios. Order of the President. June 1, 2011