The facts of the case relate to the criminal conviction imposed on Winston Caesar for the crime of attempted rape, which, in accordance with the Law of Corporal Punishment, consisted in forced labor and whipping.
The IA Court developed standards regarding the compatibility of the state application of corporal punishment with international law and practice, and considering the framework of the prohibition of torture and cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 13, 1999
- Submission to the IACourt
- Feb 26, 2003
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 5.1, 5.2 2, 5.1, 5.2 1.1, 2, 25
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
- Death penalty
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión