The facts of the case relate to the dismissal of 3 magistrates from the Constitutional Court who were impeached by Congress. The impeachment was based on the non application of Act no. 26,657, which enabled a second Presidential re-election and which allowed the then President Alberto Fujimori to run for a third consecutive term.
Following these events, the victims filed a writ of amparo against the dismissal decisions, which were rejected by Lima’s High Court of Justice and subsequently confirmed by the Constitutional Court. As a consequence of these procedures, the victims suffered a series of harassments and persecutions from the Peruvian authorities.
The IA Court referred to the institution of impeachment and guarantees of due process of law and requirement of the judge’s impartiality.
- Presentation to the IACommission
- May 15, 1997
- Submission to the IACourt
- Jul 2, 1999
- IACourt / Judgment: rights violated
ACHR 1.1, 8, 25
- IACourt / Judgment: rights non-violated
- Destitución de funcionario público
- Court documents
- Documentos de la comisión
- Geolocalización de los hechos
- Geolocalización de los hechos (linked Geolocalización de los hechos del caso)
- Tribunal Constitucional